L'Oreal True Match Foundation

Hello!

Today's post is about a product I've been musing over posting about for a while. Where as this is my own personal blog and I can post what I like, I don't want to post negatively about something, that's not in my nature/personality, so I don't want it projected on here, either. However, I think this is something a few people would agree on given the in between price tag of it.




A few weeks ago, I fancied a change of foundation, as you do every few weeks/months of using one foundation for a while, the holy grail shine of it soon wears off on the daily wear! I had used L'Oreal True Match in the past and remembered it being a good consistency, coverage and colour match for me. This was about 8 years ago when I was 15 and completely oblivious about the factors needed in a foundation/make up in general. Oh, teenage me, how blind you were. However, after recently seeing True Match mentioned in some Youtube videos, tutorials & blog posts and the praise it had received, I picked it up in my Boots shop. I went for the shade 'W1 Golden Ivory' which I thought, when swatched in Boots was the nearest shade for me. The one up from W1 was very pink/flesh toned, and having red/pink toned skin myself I thought this would not be a ideal match (no shame on the pun front here...)!


Now, at a tenner, I think for a high street brand this is quite pricey for a liquid foundation (this might just be me and my end of month bank balance talking here). As most girls, I am always on the look out for a good drug store alternative to save my pennies, or and if I know the quality is absolutely flawless I would happily stretch to pay a higher end price. Mac's Studio Fix fluid is a liquid, full coverage foundation priced at £21, Rimmel's Wake Me Up is £6.99, liquid and a full coverage foundation. Both in very different price brackets but I had got along with both when using them.  I think £10 is roughly in between.  So at £10, which I would put at the half way mark, I thought this would be good product, especially from a established brand like L'Oreal.

(Excuse my awful swatch picture taking skills)

Unfortunately, when I tried it on my face the next morning I was proved wrong. Very, very wrong. I don't know how or what they have done to it for such a big change but it was definitely not as I remembered!! It was very watery and thin in consistency, had next to no coverage, could not blend it in to save my life, and the colour. THE COLOUR?! I looked like a Simpson! It was so yellow on my skin, I looked completely washed out! Needless to say I tried everything, had I shaken it properly? Was it my primer? My brush? For ten quid I was expecting a lot better so I told myself I'd either got a dodgy one or not put it on correctly. In the next few days I tried it with and without primer, applied with a brush, fingers and a sponge, with more bronzer/contouring, without contouring etc. Nothing worked and I came to the conclusion that a) it had changed, which is understandable, but why to this?! and b) I had absolutely wasted my money. Now £10 may not sound like much, but after getting so frustrated at it I found myself wishing I'd saved my ten quid (and the hassle) and stretched to £21 for Mac's Studio Fix.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with this purchase, but we live and learn! The only thing I would possibly use the rest of the bottle for would be to use as a highlight when contouring for a night out or when I might wear a fuller face of make up. As it is so brightening, maybe in smaller area's it would be fine to use but as a all over base colour it just did not work for me! It's a shame as I do want to try other face/base products from L'Oreal, but after such a bad experience I'm feeling relentless to pay out for the same 

Have you tried L'Oreal's True Match foundation? What did you think of it?

Ami


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah shame you didn't get along with it, i've heard such rave things about this foundation!

Sophie x

Unknown said...

It's a shame as I had heard so many good things about it, but it just wasn't right for me/ my skin type :(

Post a Comment